A Garage Organization Checklist for Ultimate Garage Storage
It’s a fact that only about 31 percent of men claim to have garage organization. However, those that have achieved garage organization said they decided to do so because: they needed more space; they believed their garage could be safer with proper garage storage on the wall; they wanted to make selling their home easier.
Did you know that a single person can save 140 hours a year looking for something if their garage was organized?
For all of these reasons, more and more people are realizing that garage organization is important and garage storage is worth investing in. To help you get started, here is a checklist for garage organization and ultimate garage storage:
- Measure your garage to see how much wall space you have to work with. Once you begin investing in garage storage, the first goal should be to get as much onto the wall as possible.
- Categorize the items in your garage by function so you know how much space you need to achieve garage organization. Common categories include: woodworking tools and supplies; home paint and maintenance; sports equipment tools; car washing and maintenance items; etc.
- Toss out or donate things you don’t use, have duplicates of, and things that are broken or worn
- Determine how many garage storage units you might need based on the categories of garage items you want to store.
- Determine what (if any) specialty garage cabinets you might need based on the items you want to store. For example: heavy items that are used often are probably best stored in a cabinet drawer; poisonous yard and pest chemicals may be best kept in small, locked upper cabinets; slat wall panels and accessories are a good choice for yard maintenance tools; they also work well for storing smaller tools above a workbench area.
- Consider a corner cabinet to maximize unsued corner space.
- Choose a finish that fits you and your home’s style. GarageStorageCabinets.com offers 20 attractive mix-and-match color combinations; ensuring each customer a look that fits their lifestyle.